Family Nature Walk, Saturday, April 15, 10 a.m.: Let’s go on an adventure in Descanso Gardens. These guided walks will take 6 – 10 year olds and their families on an expedition to explore and discover nature at Descanso. Free with admission. No registration required.
Drawing Nature, 6 Saturdays starting April 1, 10 a.m.: Learn the foundations of drawing with artist R. Jay Ewing in this nature-based class for beginning and intermediate students. $90 Descanso Gardens members, $120 nonmembers. Students will be emailed a materials list after registration. Registration deadline is March 27. Register for this series in person at the Descanso Gardens Visitor Center or by phone at (818) 949-7980.
Shakespeare’s Love Scenes and Sonnets, Saturday and Sunday, April 1, 2, 8 and 9, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. each day: Ensemble Shakespeare Theatre returns to Descanso to perform your favorite Shakespearian love scenes and sonnets in the garden. Free with regular Descanso Gardens admission. No registration required.
Mt. Sac Plant Sale, April 20 – 23, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Students from the Mt. San Antonio College horticulture program will sell a variety of potted plants to make your home garden zing this spring.
Earth Day and Botanic Bling, Saturday and Sunday, April 22 and 23, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Celebrate springtime with programs focusing on flowers, plants for your garden and the Botanic Bling trunk show. Activities included with the price of admission unless otherwise noted.
- • Botanic Bling, both days, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Botanic Bling, a trunk show of unique accessories, returns with an Earth Day flavor – just in time for Mother’s Day.
- • California Wildflower Display, both days, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.: This floral installation will give you a close-up view of the many beautiful native California blooms you can find at Descanso Gardens.
- • Wildflower Activity, both days, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Discover the beauty of local wildflower with this hands-on activity.
- • Family Gardening in the Harvest Garden, both days, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Try your hand at gardening activities for the whole family. No experience necessary. Descanso Gardens staff will be on hand to answer gardening questions.
- • Oak Woodland Walk, Saturday only, 11 a.m.: Join Native Garden Horticulturist Layla Valenzuela for a guided walk that demonstrates why the Oak Woodland is a wildlife restoration site.
- • Patina Earth Day Cuisine, both days, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Enjoy some Patina cuisine featuring grilled favorites, salads and a smoothie bar.
About Descanso Gardens
Founded as a public garden in 1953, Descanso Gardens is located at 1418 Descanso Drive, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. Descanso Gardens is open daily (closed Christmas) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $9 for adults; $6 for seniors and students with a school I.D.; $4 for children 5 to 12, and free for ages 4 and younger.
Descanso Gardens is a member-supported garden accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. Join Descanso Gardens and enjoy free admission and early entry year-round. Information: (818) 949-4200 or descansogardens.org.