School Board OKs Salary Hikes, Contract Extensions

School Superintendent Geoff Yantz (from left), Board President Suzie Abajian and Board Clerk Michele Kipke discuss items at the SPUSD Board of Education meeting at the district office, Aug. 13. Photo by Skye Hannah

The South Pasadena Unified School District Board of Education unanimously approved 1 percent salary increases for classified, certificated and administrative-confidential employees plus 1 percent salary increases and 1-year contract extensions for cabinet members during the district office meeting Aug. 13.

In addition, the board approved a one-year contract extension to Superintendent of Schools  Geoff Yantz.

Following completed contract negotiations between the district and the Classified School Employees’ Association (CSEA) for the 2019-2020 school year, a 1 percent hike on classified schedule salary increase was approved. The agreement included one optional extra workday for eligible bargaining unit members. It was noted, however, in the report that this day is not included on the salary schedule since pay for the extra classified workday will be paid separately as “extra-duty” pay.

For certificated employees, a revised agreement between the district and the Teachers’ Association of South Pasadena (TASP) for the 2019-2020 school year included a 1 percent ongoing schedule salary increase for all members. In addition, the revised salary schedules include an additional 0.54 percent salary increase for the 2019-2020 school year to show the additional of one extra workday for all bargaining members. In total, the salary schedules reflect a total increase of 1.54 percent for the year. New this year is the Career Technical Education (CTE) teacher inclusion within the agreement, according to Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Karen Reed.

For administrative-confidential employees, contract negotiations between the district and both bargaining units —TASP and the California School Employees’ Association, Chapter 17 — included a 1 percent salary increase for the year.

Four cabinet members on contract also received 1 percent salary increases and 1-year contract extensions. They include Executive Director of Student Services Dennis Lefevre, Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services Christiane Gervais, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Karen Reed and Assistant Superintendent of Business Services David Lubs.

“We’ve got some of the strongest leadership that I’ve seen,” said Board Clerk Michele Kipke. “I can’t thank you enough for all the work that you do.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here