The South Pasadena Police & Fire Department will be having an Open House this Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016 from 10 AM to 3 PM. The event will be held with the SP Tournament of Roses Classic Car Show.
Please know that Mission Street will be closed on Sunday from 5 AM to 5 PM between Meridian and Fair Oaks, however Fremont will remain open. Fremont/Hope will be temporarily closed when helicopters are landing and taking off.
With September being National Preparedness month and LA County PrepareAthon, the event will focus on Emergency Preparedness. Adults can learn what to do before, during and after a disaster, and also get hands-on work on how to use a fire extinguisher. Children can also learn from the American Red Cross Emergency Preparedness “Puppet Show” at 11 AM at the fire station.
There will be plenty of police and fire activities with guided tours of the department, helicopters and demonstrations. We encourage your participation in the Force Option Simulator (in the Council Chambers) which places you in an interactive video simulator. Test your judgement skills in this simulator as you have make a quick life or death decision.
The event is FREE so come on out!
A day of activities for both children and adults will take place at the South Pasadena Police and Fire Departments Open House on Sunday, September 18, 2016, from 10 AM to 3 PM. Along with the South Pasadena Tournament of Roses Classic Car Show, which will feature 300 pre-1975 Classic and Hot Rod vehicles, the Open House will have a full day of activities. The theme for the event will focus on Emergency Preparedness and there will be plenty of great information and demonstrations on emergency preparedness. Here is just part of what will be happening at the Open House:
• Helicopters will be landing and taking off throughout the day. Tentatively scheduled to land are: United States Coast Guard’s MH-65 Dolphin, Upland Fire REACH Air Medical’s Eurocopter EC135, Los Angeles City Fire’s Bell 412 and the Pasadena Police Department’s Hughes MD-500. Fly overs will also be conducted by the Los Angeles Police and Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
• Learn what it is like to be a police officer by making a split-second, life or death decision using the “Force Options Simulator”, sponsored by USC Office of Public Safety, inside the Council Chambers.
• Enter the South Pasadena Police Officers’ Association raffle to win a ride in a police helicopter!
• Come see an exciting demonstration performed by the South Pasadena Fire Department.
• Watch the South Pasadena Police Department’s canines perform a demonstration.
• Stop by the Disney booth and learn basic chess as part of Disney’s upcoming movie “Queen of Katwe”, which opens on Sept. 23, 2016. The movie trailer will be shown as well as promotional items distributed.
• Be sure to purchase your police department “Pink Patch” for only $10.00 at the South Pasadena Police Officers’ Association booth. All proceeds go directly to help fund breast cancer research and awareness.
• Stop by the South Pasadena Police Officers’ Association’s booth and pick up a FREE police cinch backpack.
• Children can get a souvenir photograph on a police motorcycle.
• Parents can get their children fingerprinted and photographed at the “Kid print” table located inside City Hall, sponsored by Cogent Systems, Inc. The Cogent Systems computer-fingerprinting machine means there is no ink, so the process of fingerprinting each child including a digital photograph can be done quickly and cleanly.
• The Secret Service will have the Presidential Limousine on display in front of the police station.
• Bring your old cell phone to donate at the “Secure the Call” recycling bin located at City Hall. Donations are tax deductible and forms can be downloaded at www.securethecall.org.
• Children can get an “Operation Chill” coupon redeemable for a FREE Slurpee at participating 7-Eleven stores at the South Pasadena Police Officers’ Association booth.
• There will be plenty of safety information available from various community and safety organizations.
• Guided tours of the police station will be available.
• Free drinks courtesy of Trader Joe’s and Bristol Farms.
• Come and meet Neighborhood Watch Block Captains and learn how you can participate in the Neighborhood Watch program.
• In conjunction with National Preparedness month and LA PrepareAthon, a special area at the rear of the station will be dedicated to Emergency Preparedness and the Community Emergency Response Team Program (CERT). Everything you need to know on how to prepare and survive a natural disaster will be available. Disaster prevention information available will be provided by:
o Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management.
o Learn how to use a fire extinguisher properly by the South Pasadena Fire Department and CERT.
o Learn how the “Duracell Power Forward” program helps residents after a disaster by providing power and internet access.
o Experience what a large scale earthquake feels like at the LA County Fire Department’s “Quaky Shaky” house that simulates an earthquake.
o Learn how you can participate in the city’s CERT Program from the South Pasadena Public Safety Commission.
o Learn about radio communications from a Ham radio club, SPARC.
o Children can learn emergency preparedness skills at the American Red Cross “Puppet Show”.
o “Mini-workshops” on Emergency Preparedness will also be taking place throughout the day in the fire station. Should you require any special needs for attending, please contact the police department.
• The “Star Cars Central” car club, a Hollywood based television and movie car group of owners/builders of famous vehicles, return with another great line-up of cars. Tentative television and movie cars that can be seen include:
o Austin Power’s “Shaguar”
o “Magnum P.I.’s” Ferrari 308 GTSi
o “Herbie” the Love Bug
o “Isetta” police car
o “Dukes of Hazzard’s” Rosco police car
o “Rockford Files” Pontiac Firebird
o “Adam 12” police car
o “Back to the Future” time traveling Delorean
o “Blues Brothers” Bluesmobile
o “Dukes of Hazzard’s” General Lee
o Others still to be announced
The day’s event is free to all, so bring the family and enjoy the day! For more information, visit www.southpasadenaca.gov/police or call 626-403-7285.
Thank You to Our Proud Sponsors!