First published in the Aug. 19 print issue of the South Pasadena Review
The Senior Citizens’ Foundation of South Pasadena held their inaugural Senior Champion Award Celebration on Aug. 16, at the South Pasadena Senior Center.
The award, which recognizes individuals for sharing their time and talents in service of the community, honored two longtime South Pasadena residents, Granville Thurman and Bob Joe.
Honoree Granville “Granny” Thurman, who has lived 86 years in South Pasadena, has earned the respect of many students through his years as coach, teacher and principal at South Pasadena Middle School. Honoree Bob Joe, a 45-year resident, enjoyed two terms as mayor and member of the City Council. Both have been enthusiastic supporters of the Senior Center and are thankful for the caring staff, the many volunteers and the strong Senior Citizens’ Foundation, which make the Senior Center Program a “vibrant, active, source of joy” for many seniors in the area.
- Karie Reynolds and Yuki Cutcheol
- Shireen Chang and Mark Langill
- Michael and Granville Thurman with Diane and David Mgrublian
- Bob and Pat Hawkins with Dianne and Granville Thurman
- David Thurman, Teresa Thurman Koontz, Granville Thurman, Dianne, Michael, Michelle, Taylor, Connor and Aubrey Thurman
- District representative for state Senator Portantino Dominick Corey, Bob Joe, Meaghan Donahue, Julie Hruby and Mark Langill
- Chamber of Commerce President Laurie Wheeler and Department of Community Services Director Lucy Hakobian
- Dylan Woldhuis, Brittany Joe, Jeff Woldhuis, Carol and Bob Joe, Ruth Woldhuis, Tessa and Denise Holmes
- Senior Citizens’ Foundation of South Pasadena President Bill Cullinane with Senior Champions Award Honorees Granville Thurman and Bob Joe
- Senior Center Director Melissa Snyder, Frank and Sylvia Karl, Katrina Faulmino
- Lin and Alan Vlacich
- Sally Kilby, Shireen Chang, Mayor Jon Primuth, Michael and Pamela Kemp
- Former Senior Center Director Liliana Torres and Bill Suter
- Rachel Rosales, Casey Cullinane and Isabella Hansen
- Diane and Bill Cullinane
- Diane Mgrublian, Ronald Mitchell and Michael Cacciotti
- Mark Langill, Barbara Klein and Bob Vanderwall
- Patrick and Stephanie Kirchen
- Richard Helgeson and Gary Penn
- Dianne Thurman and Sheila Ananeh Firempong