Please be advised that “Cooling Center” has been triggered due to the excessive heat forecasted for Friday, July 6, through Sunday, July 8, 2018. Both the South Pasadena Library and Senior Center are available for the public to take refuge. Feel free to share the attached with anyone you may come in contact with, especially the vulnerable population, children, pregnant women and the elderly. Heat Alert July 5-8-2018
EXTREME HEAT, Friday, July 6 through Sunday, July 8, 2018.
The City of South Pasadena will open the Cooling Centers this Friday through Sunday of this week with temperatures forecasted as follows: Friday, July 6, 107° Saturday, July 7, 103° Sunday, July 8, 97°.
The South Pasadena Public Library and Senior Center serve as Cooling Centers when the temperature is forecast at 96° or higher. Both facilities offer cold water and air conditioning to the public. Facilities hours are as follows:
Senior Center: Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm
Library: Mondays and Fridays, 10 am – 6 pm
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, 11 am – 9 pm Saturdays, 10 am – 5 pm and
Sundays, 1pm- 5 pm.
If you plan to be outdoors, please take precautions from the sun and heat.
- Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate more!
- Avoid the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. when the burning rays are strongest. Reduce physical activity.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light colored lightweight, loose-fitting clothes when you are outdoors.
- Avoid hot, heavy meals that include proteins.
- Set your air conditioner between 75° to 80°. If you don’t have air- conditioning take a cool shower twice a day and visit a public air conditioned facility.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family and friends who do not have air conditioning.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcohol.
- Use sun screen with a sun protection factor of at least 15 if you need to be in the sun.
- Don’t forget about pets, they need plenty of water and shade.
Symptoms of dehydration and heat cramps include dizziness, fatigue, faintness, headaches, muscle cramps and increased thirst.
Should you have questions contact the South Pasadena Senior Center at (626) 4 0 3- 7 3 6 0, or the South Pasadena Public Library at (626) 4 0 3- 7 3 3 0.